Tuesday, January 31, 2012

First Day/First Night

So let's talk about the day- It was great. Had a boat load of energy and adrenaline from just being not only in Israel, but finally at the program and meeting people. I live in a four person apartment with two bedrooms. My three roommates are sick. So far we get a long fantastically and I think that it's going to turn out that way by the end of the semester. Also, we got four girl living across the hall and I haven't met the fourth one, but the three that I've met are also super tight. I've also met some other people in my tower and so far, the last E tower is pretty fuckin baller. Obviously, this is the honeymoon stage of the program and everyone's gonna be supers cool with everyone, but I'll take it. Got a mall right near us so I'm pretty sure I'll eventually just become a mall rat when I become bored. But anyways... my apartment is a solid size, I got a TV that has American shows that speak English, a good roommate and two other baller suite mates. So far... so good.

Now let's get to the night- We started out in our apartment. We had a ton of people in there. Probably won't be doing that again since I hear there might be some sort of noise ordinance or something. Regardless, it was still super tight that everyone was in there and we were all just laughing and enjoying ourselves. Apparently, Israelis don't go out until like midnight. That's fucked. I enjoy my college let's go out at 11, party gets bumping by midnight, everyone's getting pretty good by 1 and we leave by 2. Nope... not here. So that'll be a change. Another thing is that there aren't any bars/clubs near my university. They're at least a 15 minute taxi ride away, which kind of sucks, but it's just part of the experience. What was super weird was that they have a lot more restrictions than I thought. Like I heard of certain bars/clubs not allowing people in under the age of 25, but when we got into downtown, we found a place no one under FORTY. And then there was another bar that was 25 and then there was another where I was restricted. Didn't really get it. I'm sure we'll find the places that are for us and we'll eventually find our way around the city. It's like freshmen year all over again. A bunch of fuckin kids that stand out, don't know where they are, and just trying to drink as much as possible. But it's a definitely fun. Also, the cost of drinks is A LOT MORE than I thought. I thought that the drinks would maybe be like 10-15 shekels a piece... no way. Cheap bear went for 25. Hard alcohol went for high twenties. My friend got a double whiskey and coke. Cost him 72 shekels. The rate is 3.77-1 currently. You do the math. It's kind of absurd. But I think it's good because it'll stop me from going out all the time for the simple fact that my wallet can't handle it. It'll also make me try to find other things to do that might be a little cheaper. Overall though, it's just part of the experience. More to come... and eventually some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment