Friday, February 10, 2012

Family

So I just finished my first Shabbat with my newly met family and it was amazing. I was incredibly nervous at first, but I became much more comfortable as the night went on and the discussion became more political. It was amazing. I have a third cousin who has two daughters, six grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. And they're all related to me. Now obviously there isn't the same feeling of connection as I have to my family in the states, but it was incredible. What was more incredible is what I learned from Yosi, my grandmother's cousin. I already knew that my great-grandfather was a pivotal member of the Russian underground during the Czar and ran a newspaper that told the Jewish community of the activities of the underground, but I didn't know what my other family members did. I'll get to Yosi last, but his sister was a paramedic in the Israeli War of Independence and died, unfortunately, while trying to save injured soldiers. My grandmother's other cousin, another Yosi, had a pivotal role in creating diplomatic relations between Israel and China. He went to China as a scientific ambassador, which eventually led to an official ambassador to China. I'm sure I'll learn more when I meet him at soon. But now Yosi. He is very right wing, but as I expected. He fought in the War of Independence as well and helped liberate Haifa. He also received a commendation for courage in and competence in battles. He then was one of the first pilots in the IDF. He was the Production Engineer, in charge of the UZI submachine project. Without going into specifics, he was in charge of many more things and still is an advisor to high-tech projects. He also ran the investigation on the killing of Mohammed al-Dura at Netzarim Junction, proving it was a fake. He has written four books and is currently writing a new one. All in all, this man has served Israel his entire life. I did not know a lot about my family. My family does not have a rich history as some might describe their family history. I have friends who's family fought in World War II, fought in the American Revolution, related to some historical figure, escaped from the Holocaust, invented something ridiculous, etc. I have never been really able to say any such things. The one thing that I use to brag about is that my grandfather led the team of scientists that created the rocket fuel that sent Neil Armstrong to the moon. Obviously, that's seriously awesome. But now, instead of that being the only thing I can talk about in my family history, I have so much more. But it's not just about being able to brag about what my family did, but I simply take much more pride in my family and feel even more empowered to do something. My family has literally fought and died for the creation and the stability of the State of Israel. I have a family member who died while trying to save her fellow Jews. After hearing about what my family did, how can I idly stand by and do nothing? Or do so little? What I have done for seems so meaningless compared to what they did. No I'm not going to join the IDF. No, I'm not going to move to Israel and become an Israeli politician. I don't plan on becoming more radical. And I don't actually think that what I've done as an Israeli advocate is meaningless. I've simply done what I am able to do at this point in my life. However, I am now more determined than ever to achieve my goals of becoming a major player in Israeli advocacy in the future. My family fought and died for the creation of this great nation and as such, I will not allow their sacrifice go in vain. Knowing what my great-grandfather accomplished in his life, what my grandfather has achieved, what my third cousin achieve (China diplomacy), what my third cousin achieved (pilot), and what my third cousin sacrificed, I only feel empowered and proud to be a part of this family and to achieve as much, if not more, than they did. 

1 comment:

  1. That was amazing Zach.... And it's ironic that you are in Israel and I just finish my experience in China. They really are great people.

    ReplyDelete